--On Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:25 AM +1100 Terry Sposato <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Paul Schmehl wrote:
I'm working on porting the open-vm-tools, and the software builds, makes
and installs fine, but it obviously won't work without Xorg being
installed.  How do you ensure that the port doesn't get installed unless
Xorg is installed? Will USE_XORG= yes do the trick?

Paul,

I don't think it is a good idea to use this Knob as the open-vm-tools may
be useful for machines which don't have Xorg installed as well. For
example if vmotion etc. works with this set of tools then it will
definitely be handy for FreeBSD VM's which do not use Xorg.

OK. Here's where I'm at. I've got a basic port started. I created an option for no X. The default is no, so the port would build with X as the default build. There's some problems with the kernel modules, and I would need help from a programmer to figure those problems out. Really, someone needs to work with the open-vm-tools developers to update their kernel modules to work both with previous versions of FreeBSD (which they claim they already work with) and with version 7.0. (So, some ifdefs would be needed.)

Is there enough demand for the userland tools that I should go ahead and submit the port without the kernel modules working? I could create an option for them and mark it as not working right now. (Obviously they would need to be an option working or not.)

Should I make no X the default install?

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas