On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 05:08:54PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> So I just learned that pointyhat tries to run a target regression-test
> as part of the build.  (Somebody asked me to use that target in a
> port.)
>
> Is this documented somewhere?

Not anywhere I know of, and it may be something specific to pointyhat as
I see no mention of it in Mk/*.  I have seen similar behavior in a
tinderbox so I'm guessing it's specific to those environments.

> In particular, running tests of what duration would be considered
> appropriate?  E.g., building audio/flac takes a minute here, running
> the tests sixteen, which I suspect would be excessive.

Obviously build times should be kept to a minimum.  If the tests are not
mandatory I'd suggest wrapping the regression-test stuff in a check for
MAINTAINER_MODE being defined.  This way you, or anyone else who wants
to, can run the regression tests but pointyhat won't pick them up.

-- WXS