Jeremy Messenger wrote:
[...]
Have you guys follow in /usr/ports/UPDATING?

Mezz is refering to the entry labeled  20080725:

20080725:
  AFFECTS: users of x11-fm/nautilus and misc/shared-mime-info

  In order to properly update x11-fm/nautilus and misc/shared-mime-info, do
  the following using portupgrade:

        # pkg_deinstall -fO nautilus
        # portupgrade shared-mime-info
        # portinstall -O nautilus

Once misc/shared-mime-info has been updated, each user will need to run the
  following command:

        $ update-mime-database ~/.local/share/mime/

which, after I followed the instructions, results in a working Nautilus.

I wasn't able to find a Nautilus/GNOME command-line equivalent to file(1), but context-clicking in Nautilus to show the "Properties" dialog reports the MIME type that Nautilus thinks the file represents.

--
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"[T]his is not a disentanglement from, but a progressive knotting into."