On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Dmitry Marakasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> * Ashish Shukla आशीष शुक्ल ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
>> This is what Debian and Gentoo does. Remember we don't have to pass
>> DESTDIR variable to 'make -C /usr/ports/editors/emacs-cvs' instead it
>> will be passed to the 'gmake' process invoked by port's Makefile. If we
>
> I understand. But you're implying that there is Makefile and it supports
> DESTDIR. As I understand, you're referring to autotools-based ports.
> Remember, those are less than 1/4 of the collection.

Excuse me, but he refers not to autotools-based ports, but to ports
that follows GNU Coding Standards (section "Makefile Conventions" if
more preciously).
Autotools just brings such support out-of-the-box.
And, IMO, projects that violates these things heavy, should be fixed upstream.
BTW, from my expiriense, there are little amount of project that
doesn't support DESTDIR of it's analog.  And many of them may be
worked around anyway.

--
Andrew W. Nosenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>