From: Jim Riggs [mailto:po...@christianserving.org]
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 8:31 PM
To: David N
Cc: Pathiakis, Paul; po...@freebsd.org; Steven Kreuzer
Subject: Re: Port Request: gluster

On 02/20/2009 11:40, David N wrote:
> 2009/2/21 Pathiakis, Paul<paul.pathia...@ironmountain.com>:
>> Steven,
>>
>> I'm going to start testing it in a pre-production environment.  It
seems
>> so straightforward, integrates with ZFS, it has simple configuration
>> files, all around, I'm hoping that it garners more
>> clustering/replication for FreeBSD.  Many of the other solutions are
>> quite tedious and setup complexity is quite annoying.

straightforward
>>> and viable clustering solution which FreeBSD has always lacked.
>> This looks like a very interesting project. I might be able to take
>> some time
>> over the weekend and create a port for this.
>>
>> Out of curiosity, have you been using it in production? If so, can
you
>> describe your setup
>> and your experience with it?
>>
>> Steven Kreuzer
>> http://www.exit2shell.com/~skreuzer
>>
> Looks promising
> http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/GlusterFS_on_BSD

Several weeks ago I actually created a port for glusterfs as I was
hoping to implement it myself.  I'll have to see if I saved any of my
work.  I actually had a working port, but I may have dumped it.  I will
be happy to submit it if I can find it.  I just don't know that I will
be able to maintain it.

A couple of notes from what I found:

1. It does not yet integrate with FreeBSD's implementation of ZFS (at
least not in 7.x) due to the lack of ACL support.  You can use it with a
UFS partition or a UFS zvol.  (Using a zvol requires a patch pjd@
recommended for performance improvements.)

2. Performance in my setup was not very good over 2x1Gb LAGG.  It might
be better over a faster, dedicated channel of some type.

- Jim

The information contained in this email message and its attachments
is intended
only for the private and confidential use of the recipient(s) named
above, unless the sender expressly agrees otherwise. Transmission
of email over the Internet
 is not a secure communications medium. If you are requesting or
have requested
the transmittal of personal data, as defined in applicable privacy
laws by means
 of email or in an attachment to email you must select a more
secure alternate means of transmittal that supports your
obligations to protect such personal data. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient and/or you have received this
email in error, you must take no action based on the information in
this email and you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
misuse, copying, or disclosure of this communication is strictly
prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email
and delete the original message.