Hi Timur,

Here's the synopsis:

Gluster talks through the FUSE filesystem to a tcp socket (default 6996) to
other machines.  If you think of the OSI model, it goes down the stack on one
machine and up the corresponding stack on the other.  In other words, it hits
the tcp port (6996) on the other machine and to FUSE.

Now, here's the fun part: if you have a directory /a/tmp as a filesystem on
BOTH machines of EQUAL SIZE and you want to put something under gluster
control.  You get gluster up and working on both sides.

I'll provide my file for example after this.  (I got help from the gluster
people)

Start it with:  glustfsd -f <file>.vol --debug  on both machines.
(debug is to make sure everything is working.

Performing a df on both machines you should see:

/dev/ad0s1d  # # % /tmp/a
/dev/fuse0   # # % /mnt/a

This will show you that both machines are up and running.  In order for stuff
to now be put under gluster control (it's a filesystem so it has to have
extended attributes turned on), you have to cp the info from somewhere and put
it into /mnt/a (tar, cp, etc)

In your debug screen, you'll see it go wild as it puts everything under
glusterfs control.  On both machines, you'll see /mnt/a and /tmp/a get
populated simultaneously.

Pretty darn slick.  Also, ORDER of the layers is important.  My file, afr.vol
is:

volume posix
       type storage/posix
       option directory /a/tmp
end-volume

volume brick
       type features/locks
       subvolumes posix
end-volume

volume server
       type protocol/server
       option transport-type tcp
       subvolumes brick
       option auth.addr.brick.allow *
end-volume

volume machine01
       type protocol/client
       option transport-type tcp
       option remote-host 10.1.1.1
       option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume machine02
       type protocol/client
       option transport-type tcp
       option remote-host 10.1.1.2
       option remote-subvolume brick end-volume

volume home
       type cluster/afr
       option read-subvolume `hostname`
       subvolumes machine01 machine02

Paul Pathiakis
UNIX/Linux Systems Engineer
Iron Mountain Digital
120 Turnpike Rd.
Southborough, MA 01772

Microsoft - Where do you want to go today?
Linux - Where do you want to go tomorrow?
FreeBSD - Will you guys come on already?