On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Mark Linimon <lini...@lonesome.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 01:13:46PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > I need to understand why all support for XFree86 has been removed from
> > our ports.
>
> Because no one volunteered to do the work to support it.
>
> At any given time there are at least a couple of dozen X11-related PRs
> outstanding, and more questions posted to various mailing lists.  A lot
> of them are of the form "I can't get X version foo to work with my XYZ
> card."  Without anyone willing to work on such things, there was no
> reason to keep doing the extra work to support the parallel set of
> infrastructure.  (Removing the code to be able to pick one or the other
> greatly simplified bsd.*.mk, for instance.)
>
> It's simply a question of how many hours of work people want to put in,
> much like any other FreeBSD ports.
>
> mcl

Also many programs compile only with Xorg now. Well without patches of
course. The small programs anyways. also Xfree86 does not have regular
updates either from what I can see December 28, 2008 is their last one. Xorg
gets updated roughly every month since they became modular. but yes the main
reason is no one to maintain it.