>> apache13 is EOL upstream. We should not have ports for EOL software.
>
> Why not, exactly?..

What happens if a security hole or a bug is found? Are we the ones to
fix it? If yes are we to host the patches? Where should the bug
reports go to - our bug tracker? What if our implementation ceases to
match established documentation? Should we host the docs too?

The ports collection is one of *third party* software (with a couple
of small exceptions). If the third party says "this program is done,
has bugs which won't be fixed, etc" we should no longer support it.

>> If upstream says it's dead, who are we to keep it alive?
>
> We are a major Operating System project, which maintains ports of
> third-party applications for the convenience of our users. An
> EOL-declaration by the authors does not mean, the users must stop using it
> immediately -- it simply says, the authors will not be releasing
> updates/bug-fixes.

Correct. However (a) if the third party gave an upgrade path we should
encourage our users to use it and (b) if there *are* known bugs and
especially security holes we should cease to make it available through
our tree.

 If a user says "I found an issue with X and it is EOL upstream" the
correct response is to "upgrade to a supported version".

However this discussion is different to the one that we started with
(namely that of deprecated ports) so lets try and get back on track
:-)

--
Eitan Adler