On Thu, 10 Jan 2013, Jeffrey Bouquet wrote:

BTW portmanager was excellent the for the first few years.  One could begin an
update, then cntl-c after a few minutes when it actually began building ports,
and up in the terminal would be a concise list of what needed to be installed
or upgraded.  Later, its results were inaccurate (did not find installed
ports...). It would serve many well if someone were to rewrite if for the
present ports structure IMHO.  (That was for just one of its usages that I used
a lot, the others I was still using portupgrade or a custom .sh script, for
those fifty percent or so
of the time in which I did not simply permit portmanager to complete the task.)

portupgrade -na does that also. That and portupgrade's -R function (rebuild everything that the named port depends on, and then the named port) are the only thing I miss in portmaster.