> Many users have reported in the past that one of the problems with the
> ports system is that "OPTIONS" are not properly documented. Usually, if
> I spend some time, I can locate it but it is a PIA. However, with the
> "security/gnupg" port, I cannot find out specifically what this option
> does:

> [ ] STD_SOCKET  Use standard socket for agent

> This is off by default. Is there any advantage to activating it and
> why isn't it using a standard socket to begin with?

> Maybe if a port had a file name "options-descr" or some such thing and
> it listed each available option in the port and specifically what it
> did or how it effected the operation of the application, it would prove
> beneficial to the end use. Just my 2ยข on the matter.

> Jerry

I too have the problem of options being poorly documented.  I've configured a
port with two options that conflicted and only found out from the error
message when the port failed to build.

NetBSD pkgsrc documents the options better and notes when two options are
incompatible with each other, or when exactly one of several options can or
must be chosen.

I also find the dialog to be a nuisance because of messing the screen
especially when creating a log file.  I'd like a better way of knowing what
options are available and being able to choose separately from building the
port.  With NetBSD pkgsrc, options are placed in /etc/mk.conf for NetBSD and,
I believe, /usr/pkg/etc/mk.conf for other OSes.

Tom