Daniel Braniss <da...@cs.huji.ac.il>:

[...]
>> So what you need is support for a python module installed for two different
>> python versions at the same time, correct? And this (right now) is not
>> supported, I am afraid.
>
> as I explained, probably not too well, the problem is in the install from
> ports. the check for the installed  modules does not check, or
> incorrectly checks for the desired version.

That's understood quite well, the (big) problem however are not the
site-packages,
but other data installed e.g. under /usr/local/share, .../bin, .../wherever,
which currently does not necessarily take the python version into account.

x11-toolkits/py-gtk2 is a good example for such an issue. If you install it
for python2.7 , there are heaps of files, which would conflict/overwrite a
previous python3.2/3.3 installation and vice versa, making the port
unusable for
all your python installations except one (in the worst case).

> setting FORCE_PKG_REGISTER is a workaround, because it does not
> do any deinstall.

It only is for ports, which keep everything in site-packages or are at least
python-version aware.

I understand that there is no magic bullet, but in this particular case,
where the question 'is installed' has a bug, can/should be fixed. This does
not solve modules that are only python2.7 ok, like py-ldap.

Even that is not as trivial as it might sound at the first glance, since it could
result in patching a lot of ports for something that feels a it incomplete.

The bottom line is (speaking personally here): a quick solution cannot be provided, but that does not mean that your issue is rejected or ignored. Providing parallel installation support for different python versions just needs to be edged out a bit
more, including how to deal with the different types of ports being around.

Cheers
Marcus