Hello/Beste David,

Sunday, September 29, 2002, 2:19:35 AM, you wrote:

DZ> Comments in line...

>> DZ> My setup is a little bit weird: I have a FreeBSD machine currently serving
>> DZ> happily. It is also configured to act as a basic firewall so my laptop can
>> DZ> access the Internet. Usually, I just use static settings on my laptop to
>> DZ> communicate between the server and the laptop. I just recently got the
>> DHCP
>> DZ> server going, and all is well. Laptop (Mac OS9.2.2, Open Transport 2.7.9)
>> DZ> works A-OK, discover, offer, request, acknowledge are all great...
>>
>> Did you install net/isc-dhcp3/?

DZ> What do you mean exactly?

Just considering all options. It nice to know what you work with;
gives one something to relates to.

DZ> I have installed ISC's dhcp-3.0.1rc9 and it is
DZ> working properly with my Powerbook requesting DHCP from the current server.
DZ> Is that something that goes along with the package I have installed?

No the port works well with me.

DZ> I fear that dhclient in sysinstall is misbehaving, and not so much dhcpd on the
DZ> server... but who knows...?

Then again so did the client during install.

>> DZ> To note, the frontline box (dhcpd) does not display any DHCP-related
>> DZ> messages during this attempt.
>>
>> Try killing dhcpd on the server and starting it in the foreground with
>> debug options. 'dhcpd -d' you may need other flag, check 'man dhcpd'
>> for these.

DZ> Yep. Tried that. I had been tweaking dhcpd.conf forever just to get dhcpd to
DZ> work with my laptop (works fine now: i see all the neat messages fly back
DZ> and forth when I'm connected). Do you think I need a special entry in there?
DZ> Something that will assign an IP based on its ethernet address (I guess I
DZ> could assign it a host/domain name at that point too)? I haven't tried that
DZ> yet...

This is my dhcpd.conf:

subnet 192.168.31.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        authoritative;
        do-forward-updates true;
        ping-check true;
        option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
        option broadcast-address 192.168.31.255;
        option routers 192.168.31.4;
        option domain-name-servers 192.168.31.4;
        option domain-name "kruij557.speed.planet.nl";

        pool {
                range 192.168.31.64 192.168.31.127;
                min-lease-time 1800;
                default-lease-time 3600;
                max-lease-time 7200;
                deny known clients;
        }

        pool {
                range 192.168.31.128 192.168.31.255;
                min-lease-time 86400;
                default-lease-time 604800;
                max-lease-time 2592000;
                deny unknown clients;
        }
}

Some static values here.

>> You wan't to check the /etc/rc.conf file afther the installation. If
>> you find something like xxx_fxp0="DHCP" all is ok.

DZ> Can't get that far into installation. DHCP is set up on the current server
DZ> (it requests a specific IP from the DHCP server) so I know what you mean. My
DZ> problem is getting connected so I can simply install.

Could you NIC be broken or the drivers for that NIC?

DZ> Network seems easier to configure in rc.conf than with these silly screens.

Network config works ok for one, but only one, NIC. At least when i
last tried it.

DZ> Thanks.

Your welcome.

--