George Costell wrote:
Hi,
Bought FreeBSD 4.5 CD's and trying to install the OS
for an application.
Impossible to load correctly the system!!!!
1°) Obstinently does not recognize any of my 3
Ethernet card on the firts one (RTL8139, DEC, RT 8039
and NE).
rl(4) should be the driver for RTL8139 and work. A RT8039 is not mentioned in the release hardware notes.
Which network card from DEC? Which type of NE? Are thos ISA or PCI cards?
Go, read what is supported: http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.5R/hardware-i386.html
How do you knoe, that your network cards are not detected?

2°) Nothing to do with a second PC. Intel i810 graphic
card and X Windows only VGA and no driver for i810.
If I remember correctly FreeBSD 4.5 shipped with XFree 3.x - there was no support in XFree 3.x or the i810.

Both E-Machine PC's!
What type is that?

Yet already used FreeBSD and Linux. I can load Mandrake not any problem, RedHat 7 OK,
Win2000 OK !!?

/me could not help to start ranting.
FreeBSD loaded succesful. XFree is not FreeBSD else the network drivers. so FreeBSD _is_ loaded "correct".

Please provide us with more informations like a dmesg-output

Thanks

Marc

PS: This is a mailinglist and answer are given by volunteers. FreeBSD is not a company like RedHat or Mandrake. So please ask in a way you would ask a friend for help.