After trying some various ideas, I ran dmesg and noticed the following message

Interrupt storm detected on "irq7: lpt0"; throttling interrupt source

This appears to be inline with what you are speaking of. Having said this, however, I played around with my BIOS settings and still could not get it to work. Here are the available options given.

Parallel Port:
Disabled
Enabled
Auto

Mode:
Output only
Bi-directional
EPP
ECP

Base I/O Address:
378
278
228

Interrupt:
5
7

DMA:
1
3

I am still playing around with combinations. Any suggestions?