Garance A Drosihn wrote:

At 7:24 PM -0400 5/24/05, Lisa Casey wrote:

Hi,

I want to move all of the mailboxes (all of /var/mail/*) on one
machine to another one across a network. I need to preserve
permissions, uid's and gud's. (It would probably be good to
preserve modification times as well). I can move a file using
scp, but it doesn't preserve uid/gid

Check the port named net/rsync .  You can sync a directory from
one machine to another over ssh by using it.

You could also tar it with -p. which would preserve the permissions, and then scp it, but rsync is probably a better idea.

James