Ihsan Junaidi Ibrahim wrote:
 > I've encountered the problem as well and have lived without it since; if
I recalled correctly from a previous reply on this list, pam_unix.so
uses getpwnam () to fetch the password information. It will only return
the password if the calling process has an UID of 0 (root). Since your
apache is running as user www, that should explain why the
authentication failed.

The only workaround is to have your apache runs as root or use a
different authentication back-end.

I forgot to add. Another suitable workaround is to use mod_auth_external (www/mod_auth_external) and pwauth (security/pwauth) to authenticate against but not limited to /etc/passwd. On a busy server, this may incur certain overhead but the important thing is that it does the job. It is more involving configuration-wise than mod_auth_pam but not by much.

I have it running for WebDAV as well as password protected directories on an installation.

--
Thank you for your time,
Ihsan Junaidi Ibrahim,