Kirk Strauser wrote:

My choice is Postfix. It's still under active development and isn't hampered by bizarre licensing and enormous egos.
Active development has to be the killer argument. Who wants to rely on software that no-one cares enough about to develop properly?

Furthermore, Qmail seems to have earned its reputation for security the standard DJB way: by implementing only the easy parts of the standard and complaining loudly about the hard parts ("those are insecure!") until everyone quits asking for them.
DJB?