Brett Glass wrote:

I need to set up a FreeBSD server with two or more sets of
mirrored drives. What is the best controller to use for this
purpose? Note that I don't need striping or other RAID
functions -- just mirroring, hopefully with hot swap capability.
A system that could re-mirror a replacement drive with minimal
impact on performance would be ideal.

You don't need an additional controller necessarily, because you can set up a RAID 1 with two single ATA hard disks. You'll find a small how-to at [1]. Even most cheap ATA chipsets have hot-swap capabilities.

[1] http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/

I have good experiences with SATA PCI controllers from Highpoint.

Björn