-----Original Message-----
From: Garrett Cooper [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2005 9:23 PM
To: Ted Mittelstaedt
Subject: Re: Still trying to get my site up!

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Gerard Seibert
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2005 6:15 AM
To: Oliver Leitner
Cc: John Brooks; FreeBSD Question
Subject: Re[2]: Still trying to get my site up!

My new problem is how do I do an FTP into the site.
Well, you first have to FTP into www2.beerstud.us as the FTP protocol
does not have any way to create a redirect the way that dydns is doing
for you with their web server.

Second, if your ISP is so stupid as to block incoming port 80 yet allow
people to run web servers on any other port number, then it is
quite likely
that they are stupid enough to block incoming port 21 (the FTP
port) yet
allow incoming FTP on any other port.

In which case you just run your ftp daemon and your command line ftp
client program with the -P option and choose some convenient
port number.

I just tried using
WS~Pro from a WixXP machine, but that failed.
Don't know about that one however the WS_FTP that is the freeware one
has a Advanced tab on the site config that allows you to specify the
remote port.

Ted

Ted's advise is really good considering that more ftpd's run on non-standard ports than httpd's, or at least what I've seen so far. Besides, if you have to serve via FTP then just use an ftpd instead of obfuscating transfers via httpd; ftpd is much better at helping people get files than http anyhow ;). I say get rid of the ISP and find a better one. Any ISP that actively blocks port 80-a port which should be allowed as a backup port for programs-isn't really setup correctly and I doubt that they have all of your best interests in mind when making decisions.
-Garrett
Drat. Did it again.