Are you running ext2fs from Linux? If you are running it from FreeBSD then try making a symlink in /sbin from fsck_ext2fs to wherever you have e2fsck and make sure that e2fsck will be available when fsck runs. That almost certainly means it has to bee on your root partition. (Or just copy it to /sbin).

Yes, copying fsck_ext2fs and e2fsck to /sbin works - I've looked in
files/fsck_ext2fs.c in the port and I noticed that it only looks for e2fsck in
/sbin - hence the execve error. Thanks for the pointer!

I got the impression that Linux doesn't support ufs2 at all, and, well, I just
trust FreeBSD's ext2 implementation more than I do Linux's ufs one ;)

Yours,

  Jaap Boender