Did you actually add the pkg for the telnet server? Also, realize that port 21 is the default listening port for telnet, so if you thought that the open ports displayed is out of the ordinary, it's not really unless you changed the listening port. Have you tried telnetting to yourself (ie telnet localhost)?
-Garrett