On 22 Oct 2005, at 18:07, Mike Hernandez wrote:

On 10/22/05, eoghan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Id like to get it sending this name so I can also use it with samba
like:
\\home.nathaniel\public
Instead of using the machines IP address. Thanks for any help.

If you don't have a local dns server that you control (i.e. that you
can add the hostname too), then you'll have to add home.nathaniel to
the hosts file of the box you are trying to get there from. Windows
has a hosts file similar to your freebsd box.

Mike

I understand now. Im wondering if i can setup my own DNS server now from freeBSD for my network?
Hopefully this isnt an insanely stupid question :)
Ive got a windows and mac also on my network, so I can just add it to each of this anyway...
Thanks all
Eoghan