Gary Kline wrote:

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll keep trying--or, more accurately, will keep encouraging my friend to keep checking
        into things.  He is at a major university with a huge library
        complex and all the latest technology, &c... .  Cost is an
issue--every which way you turn. The university has some kind of saving-old-books program, I think, but this book isn't on the list. There have been steep cuts in staff
        and programs in the past couple years, so the thinking may
be: What's the deal with trying to revive a 1913 Ethics text where it's already on fiche?!

See if a local academic campus has a School of Library and Information Studies or an equivalent. If so, approach them (rather than the library proper) to see if an eager graduate school student can/will take on your conversion project for credit. They may have free access to the technology required and may provide free labor too, in exchange for your providing a "real world" work experience (a practicum or internship type effort is usually a requirement in these programs).

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348