Joerg Pernfuss wrote:
On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 20:29:41 +0100
"Kiffin Gish" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Just wondering what a good rule of thumb is in how often to run
portupgrades.

I figure that once a week should be sufficient, however each time it
runs it can take up to a few hours to complete which seems like an
unnecessary hassle to me. Once it even started rebuilding the
complete gnome port which took a couple days!

Is this worthwhile? What are the benefits?

Thanks alot in advance.

Everybody has to figure out that one for himself, so, here is my
rule of thumb:

        Upgrade your ports only when you need to.

If all installed ports work fine and a new version doesn't introduce
some functionality you simply need to have, why update?
Just for the sake of updateing?

        Joerg

you forgot to mention security issues. even if you don't like often updating, you should run portaudit regularly (once a day?) and make sure you update the ports with security advisories.

martin