At 15:46 23/12/2002 -0800, Kurt Bigler wrote:
on 12/23/02 3:34 PM, Kenzo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> And for using hotmail account....Computer 101, never
> use your real or company e-mail address to post on forums,  just attracks
> crackers.

I currently create a new email address for every category of mailing list
that I join.
For web use, I use a throw-away free-ISP account (which lets me pop mail from
anywhere!) which hands out email addresses in the form [EMAIL PROTECTED]
- whenever a web sites asks me for an email address, I use their domain name
in front of the @ - nothing to set up my end, and I know immediately whenever
I get spam through that isp which web site gave it out. (Thank you, Paltalk..)

I sort of forgot for this mailing list....

Rob

I know others use special accounts for mailing lists which refuse to receive
any mail that doesn't come from one of the lists that they associate with
the account (or else they accomplish the filtering in their email client).

A word of warning:  When I first joined freebsd-questions, I joined with my
"main" preferred only-for-friends spam-safe email address by mistake.  Being
lazy, I waited a few hours to correct that, unjoining, and rejoining with
the desired address.  But ever since then I get matching paired spams on the
two addresses:  the one I used by mistake for a few hours, and the one that
I use at the moment ONLY for freebsd-questions.

Fortunately I get only 1 or 2 spams a day like this, but I'm afraid it will
grow and I will have to give up my main email address, or get deeply into
spam filtering, which so far I have avoided.

Regards,
Kurt Bigler