on 12/24/02 12:01 PM, Andrew Brampton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think the orginal poster didn't mean to say set up a different subdomain
> for each account just a different address, for example
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> I have a catch all email address so [EMAIL PROTECTED] goes to
> me without having to set it up in advance, all goes to one mail box.

The original poster was pointing out that there are ISPs that offer free
_entire_domains_ of email, and my point is they can afford to do this
because they are using subdomains under their domain for this purpose.  The
point of having an entire [sub]domain available is that you can freely
allocate user names @ that domain, and one possible application of this is
to have a large space of names available to help track spam sources.

The point I was latching onto was that subdomains are cheap, but offer just
as large a space for email names as a domain would offer.  I am not
suggesting creating a subdomain for each account, but rather creating
subdomains as needed to create unique namespaces for email accounts.  As a
provider, I might consider each subdomain an "account", but the end user
needs such an account in order to have an entire namespace available.

Personally I have had enough problems with other email hosts that I just
want to use my own server now.  So I would rather create subdomains for this
purpose (for myself) rather than use another provider for this.  Besides,
then I can provide the same service to others.

Kurt Bigler