[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

El día Monday, April 10, 2006 a las 04:07:34PM +0100, Alex Zbyslaw escribió:
There's nothing to stop you configuring that local nameserver to use your two "backups" for names that it cannot resolve.

You could then leave the two backups in /etc/resolv.conf but if your local nameserver is authoritative for your local domain, then you probably want to know if it goes away, and those backups won't be able to look up names in your local domain.

I'm making some assumptions about why you set things up this way in the first place, and I may be wrong, but there's too little info in your post to give definitive suggestions.

The anderlying problem is that we are three companies, now connected
through VPN tunnels. Each company runs it's own DNS server internaly and
without publicating all its names to Internet. The three DNS are
10.0.1.201 (mine one), xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy.
Any idea? Yes, in the future we will unify the whole zone, but this is
not a short term option...
Presumably all three ranges have distinct domain names E.g. company1.de company2.de company3.de

I am no expert of DNS, but isn't all you need for each "company" to run nameservers which are slaves (secondaries) for the other 2 as well as master of their own? So the nameserver at company1 is master for company1.de and is a slave for company2.de and company3.de etc.

Of course, you might want some redundancy in that scenario, with each company running DNS on another server as well, and that one being a slave for all 3 domains.

If you don't know enough to do that, I strongly recommend getting the latest edition of O'Reilly "DNS and BIND"; and you should find BIND doc on your FreeBSD system starting in /usr/share/doc/bind9/arm/Bv9ARM.html.

Best,

--Alex