Paul Schmehl wrote:

Alex Zbyslaw wrote:

It's working fine since I installed 6.1. The odd thing is, I thought I needed the bce driver, but the 6.1 install detected the NIC and used the bge driver. That driver is available in 6.0 as well, yet it didn't work in that install.

Why is this confusing? Drivers get updated to cover newer versions of chips which didn't exist or weren't available to the developer when originally written. If you really care then check out the CVS history for your driver from the FreeBSD site (developer / CVS Repository / web interface).

If I understand what you're saying, you're saying that the driver only gets updated for the latest OS? That seems a bit absurd to me. Wouldn't the bge driver be the same for every OS version that it's available for?

Seems absurd to you; seems perfectly understandable to me. There is no such thing as "the bge driver". There are numerous revisions of a bge driver and each OS version has it's own revision that was current when the OS was released. That's what a new OS version is: updated drivers and core utilities.

--Alex