At 04:41 AM 6/29/2006, you wrote:
First, I believe that the port has been updated to:
linux-fontconfig-2-2.4_4 in the ports system. You could try this
procedure.

1) Update your ports tree
2) Install 'portmanager' if it is not already installed
3) Run: portmanager x11-fonts/linux-fontconfig -l -f -y

That will create a log file, '/var/log/portmanager.log' that you can
inspect after the process ends. If it does not complete successfully,
you will have a better idea of what the problem is.

Yup, see my previous reply: I wasn't updating the X11 ports in my supfile. But, this brings up another issue...

Thanks for the tip about portmanager. However, I use usually execute make directly. In fact, what I *like* do is something like "make | tee logfile.txt" so I can go back and inspect the output. But a number of ports execute a gtk(?)-based config that displays full-screen. When using tee (or, of course, redirecting output via >), it's next to impossible to navigate around the config screen in my term.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Is there a way to get them to use a traditional configure dialog that presents one option at a time?

(I was baffled the first time one of these screens popped up. It just seems so antithetical to the whole compiling from source thing, y'know? Like gourmet cooking in a microwave or something...)