DW wrote:

no, the first time this was my thought too, I've been known to do stuff like this, especially since so much activity is done with 'sudo', but we went back (each of us on our respective machines), and did it again, making sure we were doing it as 'dude', not sudo or 'root', and it happened every time.

<snip>

% mkdir /usr/home/dude/drive2 ...or
$ mkdir /usr/home/dude/drive2
I swear, that's what we did!!!! :) Maybe I'm losing it?, but we went back and verified and verified, and still scratching our heads.

Well... I was responding precisely to your post, where you used the '#' prompt in your example, which is the root prompt.

The '%' and '$' prompts traditionally indicate non-root users.

--
-wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
.       http://robertwittig.net/