Dylan Cochran wrote:
>> I don't get the pcm0 lines that section 7.2.2 in the manual talks
>> about.  cat /dev/sndstat returns:
>>     FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
>>     Installed devices:
>> and nothing else.

The driver isn't attached to the device, either because the pci id's
don't match or the card isn't using an emu10k* chip. Please type
pciconf -l -v and reply with the portion that matches the card.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:10:0: class=0x040100 card=0x10061102 chip=0x00071102 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
   vendor   = 'Creative Labs'
   device   = 'CA0106-DAT Audigy LS'
   class    = multimedia
   subclass = audio

So, at the very least, FreeBSD knows there's *something* there, it just doesn't grok what it is that's there.
I hope this helps, if you understand C and how pci works
I grok some C, but I've never dealt with PCI peripherals before. I've only ever coded at the application level.
you can use
the pci id output that pciconf provides and modify the #define
EMU10K1_PCI_ID    0x00021102 line in /usr/src/sys/dev/sound/pci/emu10k1.c
to match it, this will force the driver to try to bind to the card.
That would be the chip=0x00071102 piece?

This may not work, it's not supported, and definately DON'T link the
driver to the kernel (ie, don't add a device snd_emu10k1 line to the
kernel config) in the off chance it causes a strange hard lock
problem.

Good luck :)
Thanks, I'll give it a go and see what happens. :)