Bob wrote:
Hi:

I recently installed FreeBSD 6.1 over the net from sources. I am keeping things up-to-date using CVSup. When portaudit tells me I have a security issue; I update/re-install the affected port. When a kernel patch comes in, I re-compile the kernel; which now stands at FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p6 #3.

From what I can tell, buildworld re-builds the base system, something I have yet to do. My thought is to do a buildworld only when the OS version is updated to the next number above 6.1. I understand this happens at about 4 month intervals.

My question is, is there a good reason to buildworld before a version change? I hate "fixing" something which is working perfectly, and this system has been stellar! Bob

Hi Bob,

I believe it is basically good to get the 'p' patches as they contain security fixes. My thinking is that if 'p' patch comes out - your system is, in some sense, not perfect anymore :)

But I have one question - do you rebuild the world on a remote machine (without physical access) and if yes - how do you restart in single user mode. This is what I can't understand so far.

Thanks,
Iv