Hi,

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 00:43, Nikolaj Farrell wrote:
<snipped>

> See below for details, I just want to point out that the computer has a
> clean install from cd-rom. I have not compiled the kernel and AFAIK ipfw is
> not set default in the GENERIC kernel. And I would never intentionally
> activate ipfw on this computer. Anyways:
>
> # ipfw list
> ipfw: getsockopt(IP_FW_GET): Protocol not available

Pretty much settles it, I'd say.

> # uname -a
> FreeBSD athlon.mydomain.se 4.7-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #0: Wed Oct  9
> 15:08:34 GMT 2002
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>
> # cat /etc/rc.conf
> defaultrouter="192.168.0.2"
> hostname="athlon.mydomain.se"
> ifconfig_dc0="inet 192.168.0.1  netmask 255.255.255.0"
> kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
> keymap="swedish.iso"
> linux_enable="YES"
> moused_enable="YES"
> nfs_client_enable="YES"
> nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"
> sendmail_enable="YES"
> sshd_enable="YES"
> usbd_enable="YES"
>
> and finally the contents of /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC
>
> #
> # GENERIC -- Generic kernel configuration file for FreeBSD/i386

<snipped>

> # PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
> # NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these NICs!
> device  miibus  # MII bus support
> device  dc  # DEC/Intel 21143 and various workalikes
> device  fxp  # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)
> device  pcn  # AMD Am79C97x PCI 10/100 NICs

<snipped>

Okay.., I see that there's no firewall support in the kernel. Well., at
the end I'd ask for you to try reloading the nic (ifconfig dc0 down /
ifconfig dc0 up) to see if that makes any difference - maybe booting to
other OS leaves the nic is some sort of state.., but that's grasping at
straws.., but I seem to recall hearing at least one instance of this..,
somewhere..,

Regards,

Stacey

Stacey Roberts