Hello,

(sorry, don't know whether kernel problems should go to questions or hackers, or both)..

This has been a long-standing problem of mine, but I always ignored it hoping it would go away on its own with a future 6.x release, but it remains...

No matter whether I boot into safe mode or regular mode, with all kernel extensions disabled in /boot/loader.conf, I get the following panic late at boot of a fresh RELENG_6_2 kernel (with only a few services left to bring up). The 6.x kernels I've tried all build and installed cleanly without any errors...

WARNING: Device driver "

fault virtual address = 0x400000
fault code = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer = 0x20:0xc06d4614
stack pointer = 0x28:0xf015491c
frame pointer = 0x28:0xf015491c
code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xffffff, type 0x1b
             = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags = interupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process = 898 (kldload)
trap number = 12
panic: page fault
uptime: 36s
cannot dump. No dump device defined
automatic reboot in 15 seconds

This problem does not occur within any 5.x OS for me. I would certainly like to resolve this issue now, but this sort of debugging is over my head beyond running fsck (which I've tried). Any ideas here?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
http://www.netmusician.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]