On Feb 25, 2007, at 11:14 AM, Joe Auty wrote:

On Feb 25, 2007, at 5:46 AM, Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN] wrote:

On Sunday 25 February 2007 08:59, Kip Macy wrote:
It looks as if you've hit a device driver that is trying to print out
a null string. The message you've given doesn't provide any more
information than that. If you install a snapshot kernel it will
probably have ddb compiled in which will allow you to at least get a
backtrace. I'm sorry you're having trouble.

Grepping the source tree on 6.2-RELEASE shows this message can only have com
from one place : sys/kern/kern_conf.c in the function prep_cdevsw() :

if (devsw->d_version != D_VERSION_01) {
    printf(
"WARNING: Device driver \"%s\" has wrong version %s\n",
                    devsw->d_name == NULL ? "???" : devsw->d_name,
                    "and is disabled.  Recompile KLD module.");

Looks like the kernel and the modules are out of sync.

Any idea how this could have happened after disabling everything in my /etc/loader.conf, and simply running a:

make buildworld
make buildkernel KERNCONF=myconfig
make installkernel KERNCONF=myconfig

Shouldn't this have installed a fresh kernel plus only essential modules?

Here is a diff of my kernel config (which I've called, rather uncreatively, 6.x) against GENERIC:

nothing unusual, just IPFIREWALL and Linux compat stuff, right?

Forgot to add that I believe I've also tried building a GENERIC kernel and ran into this same problem. It's been a while since I tried this though, so I'll gladly try this again if you think it would be a useful test! =)

# diff 6.x GENERIC
19c19
< # $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC,v 1.429.2.7.2.2 2006/05/01 00:15:12 scottl Exp $
- ---
> # $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC,v 1.429.2.13 2006/10/09 18:41:36 simon Exp $
30,42c30
< options         IPFIREWALL
< options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
< options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=10
< options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
< options         IPDIVERT
< #options         VFS_AIO
< #options         HZ=1200
< #options SMP # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
< #device          pf
< #device          pflog
< #device          pfsync
< options         COMPAT_LINUX
< options         BRIDGE
- ---
> makeoptions DEBUG=-g # Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols
44,49d31
< # Enable the linux-like proc filesystem support (requires COMPAT_LINUX and PSEUDOFS)
< options         LINPROCFS
<
< #makeoptions DEBUG=-g # Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols
<
< #options      SCHED_ULE               # ULE scheduler
77,80d58
< options AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT # Print register bitfields in debug < # output. Adds ~128k to driver. < options AHD_REG_PRETTY_PRINT # Print register bitfields in debug < # output. Adds ~215k to driver.
103a82,83
> options AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT # Print register bitfields in debug > # output. Adds ~128k to driver.
104a85,86
> options AHD_REG_PRETTY_PRINT # Print register bitfields in debug > # output. Adds ~215k to driver.
226a209
> device stge # Sundance/Tamarack TC9021 gigabit Ethernet
248a232,234