Never you mind wrote:
On my Mac from the Finder I can select "Connect to server", give it the details of an ftp location and it will connect and display the ftp space as a drive on the desktop.

Can I obtain the same sort of functionality using freeBSD and xfce desktop manager?

The built in "file manager" Thunar doesn't seem to have this functionality (though I stand ready to be corrected if I'm wrong, I tested casually and scanned the manpage), but there are 125 programs in /usr/ports/ftp, and one of them should work.

And, just to show that I'm not being overtly cynical here, here's a short list of those programs that seem to be graphical and client-side in nature; perhaps one of them will suit you, or others could comment on their use. Terminals and ftp(1) for me ;-)

Note that a] I've probably missed some; b] Those that start with "K" are probably for KDE and might not be something you want to get into (lots of dependencies you may not want) c] possibly ditto with gftp<-->Gnome, and some others may be rather "heavy"....

iglooftp
wxftp
filezilla
ftpcube
gFTP
JFTP
Kasablanca
Kbear
KFTPGRabber
llnlxdir
multiget
waiho
wmget
wxdfast
Xrmftp

Kevin Kinsey

--
Early to bed and early to rise and you'll
be groggy when everyone else is wide awake.