John Bleichert wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, aydun wrote:

Subject: Need help with Sound Card

Hi,

I've got a Rockwell WaveArtist card (RWA010, R6711-31) but I can't configure FreeBSD 4.7 to see it correctly. Bios sees it ok at 0x220 & it works under Windows (IRQ 5)

It's supposed to be ISA PnP and Sound Blaster Pro compatible.

I've tried various combinations of 'device pcm', 'device sb'; 'device sbc', 'device snd' but it when it boots the best it gets is:

sb_reset_dsp failed
unknown: <WaveArtist> can't assign resources

<snip>

"can't assign resources" could be due to your BIOS settings - try disabling "PnP OpSys Installed" and then bring up your system. If you disable PnP support in your BIOS, you *may* be able to get around this.

Good luck!

JB

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately its an old Compaq Deskpro with the windows-style interface to its bios which give precious few settings to play with! I haven't found anything that would match the one you mentioned.

A boot -v shows:
isa_probe_children: probing PnP devices
unknown: <WaveArtist> failed to probe at port 0x250-0x25f drq 5 on isa0
unknown: <WaveArtist> failed to probe at port 0x220-0x22f,0x388-0x38b irq 5 drq 1 on isa0
unknown: <WaveArtist> failed to probe at port 0x330-0x333 on isa0

Not clear to me why the probe would fail, or how to work round it!

thanks
aydun