Olivier Nicole wrote:

[snip]

configuration?  If both options are possible, is one better than the
other?  I'd prefer not to have to re-do my apache install, but if
there's some compelling reason I should, I'm interested in knowing it.

You would have to modify the httpd.conf to activate SSL anyway.

Have you a lot of things in the config yet?

Just what I needed to get our webmail server running.  Initially
tried Horde, but ended up running into some problems with that,
now trying Squirrelmail.

Also, when I've got it, I want users to have the option to use it,
not be forced to (tinkering with a Squirrelmail webmail server here), so
any information on that would be more than welcome.

Any reason why you don't want to force your user to go SSL. They will
be exchanging password over the network, better it is crypted, don't
you think?

Yes, absolutely, that's why I want the option to use SSL.  However,
we have some users that travel a lot, and sometime they absolutely
need to be able to get to their email.   SSL introduces another layer
of complexity, and thus possibility for failure, into checking their
email.  While I prefer the security of SSL, if it's a choice between
no email access for our travellers and access without SSL, my boss
has been pretty clear that access, however it's achieved, is the key
issue.

If it is a matter of not purchasing a certificate, you can put up a
page on the way to install the certificate once for all so the users
are not requested again to accept the certificate.

While that's not really the issue for me, I'm interested in this idea
anyway, as it saves some money and keeps us a little more self sufficient. If you'd care to explain this in further detail, or
just point me at a doc somewhere that does, it would be much
appreciated.

Usual configuration of Apache normally allows you to set-up two
servers, one on port 80 that is not crypted and one on port 443 that
is using SSL. Both services can share the same web pages, giving acces
both with and without SSL.

I guess now I need to hit Google and find out how to do this on FreeBSD,
as it sounds just like what I want, thanks!

Regards,

--
Patrick Baldwin
Systems Administrator