We're going to build a server with some 1Tb of over 500 million small
files with size from 0,5k to 4k.  I'm wonder if the ufs2 can handle
this kind of system well. From newfs(8) the min block size is 4k. This
is not optimal in our case, a 1k or 0,5k block is more effective IMHO.
I'd be happy if anyone can suggest what does fragment (block/8) in the
ufs2 mean and how this parameter works. I know It's better to read the

exactly as a block/cluster in windows. fragment is the smallest allocation block. "block" is a group of 8 fragments to make allocation faster and smarter.

full ufs2 specification, but hope that someone here can give a hint.
Please advice with optimizations or tricks.

please DO NOT make single partition like that. try to divide it to 3-4 partitions. it will work on a single one but waiting for fsck will kill you ;)

AFAIK fsck time grows nonlinearly with fs size to some extent..

options for newfs will be like that

newfs -m <A> -i <B> -b 4096 -f 512 -U /dev/partition

where A is space left. with mostly small files and huge partition don't worry to set it 1 or even 0.

B - size of disk(bytes)/amount of inodes

default is probably 2048, you may use 1024 or 4096 for your case - make rough estimate how much files will you have (you told between 4 and 0.5k, but what average?). making too much inodes=wasted space (128 bytes/inode), making too little=big problem :)

another question - HOW do you plan to make backups of such data? with dump rsync tar etc. it's clearly "mission impossible".

feel free to mail me i had such cases not 5E8 but over 1E8 files :)