I'm in the middle of a portupgrade -aP, and saw that the newest
        mga driver is installed.
        So I did another X -configure, moved the file to
        /etc/X11/xorg.conf and carefully tried out the new
        xf86-video-mga-1.9.100..  The screen is much brighter at the
        resolution is good, but the brightness is still very dingy
        compared to the "vesa" driver.  There is nothing wrong with my
        CRT; on the other KVM connections (and/or) with the vesa driver
        at 800x600, the screen is completely bright.  Is there some other
        "ati" driver yet to finish?

        Anybody?

        gary