Daniel Bye wrote:
On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 12:41:51PM +0000, Daniel Bye wrote:
[...]
Using FreeBSD-6.2 and Bash, how do I determine the number of files in a given directory? I have tried all sorts of combinations using different flags with the 'ls' command; however, none of them displays the number of files in the directory.
 $ ls | wc -l

will show you how many files and directories in the current (target)
directory. To count just files, and exclude directories, you could try
something like

 $ find /target/directory -type f -print | wc -l

Except of course, that would descend into the subdirectories you're trying
not to count... Sorry - an object lesson in not hitting send before you've
tested what you scribbled.

ls -aF | grep -v /$ | wc -l

is a quick, if somewhat ugly, way to do it. It counts the dotfiles too.

Erik