Aryeh M. Friedman schrieb:
I almost always login into aryeh (xfce via xdm).   Both web and dev
require the use of variuous X applications but I don't want to logout
and login back in and/or have to invoke the app from the cmd line
(i.e. xhost +; setenv DISPLAY :0; app cmd line)... I am looking for a
way to make it so I can launch apps from a desktop panel and/or icon
on the desktop and make it ask what user to run it under (or somehow
or another make it aware that not everything is to be ruin as
"aryeh")... ideas?

- --
Aryeh M. Friedman

Not very sophisticated, but an idea.

Associate commands as follows assigned to an icons.

xterm -e userwrapper.sh <command>

An userwrapper.sh is like this:

#!/bin/sh

echo "Enter username for $1"