RW wrote:

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 12:31:08 +0000
Alex Zbyslaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have zero experience of squid beyond reading about it, but it has always sounded like a major resource hog.

It depends how you use it. I think you can probably get it down to
about 15 MB, if you eliminate memory caching and use a modest disk
cache. Squid needs to store per object metadata in memory, about
10-20MB per GB of disk cache, and that's what leads to very large
memory use.

Thanks for the info. That doesn't seem too bad in relation to a small network, but I can see why a large network might want to dedicate a separate host.

--Alex