Jack Barnett wrote:

Robert Eckardt wrote:
It depends on what you want to do.

To clarify, I would like to run Windows XP at least

VMWare runs WinXP beautifully - but unfortunately VMWare doesn't well under FreeBSD.
Last time I tried Qemu it was fairly slow.

So Jail, Qemu and VMWare crossed off the list, any other options?

While Qemu is normally slow, there was a SoC project to add KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine) support to FreeBSD - it uses the virtualization features built in to modern Intel and AMD CPUs. It speeds things up substantially. For more information go to http://feanor.sssup.it/~fabio/freebsd/lkvm/

If that doesn't work then you could also try emulators/kqemu-kmod/ - while it doesn't take advantage of the VT or SVM features in modern CPUs, it allows Qemu to run a lot of code natively and so speeds things up quite a bit.

--
Bruce