/usr to spread the load while making worlds and I mount /usr/obj
asynchronously to increase write speed. With several filesystems I can
spread to load the way I want it and decide where the data goes. And one
broken fs doesn't screw up the others in the process.

did you ever got your UFS filesystem broken not because your drive failed?

i don't. UFS it's not FAT, and doesn't break up.

I do know the drawbacks of this: Storage is pretty static. Correcting
wrong estimates about the needed fs-sizes is a big problem. That is why I

you CAN't estimate well how much space you need in longer term.
in practice partitioning like yours means at least 100% more disk space requirements.

of course - there are often cases today that whole system needs few gigs, but smallest new drive is 80GB - it will work..

still - making all in / is much easier and works fine.

making all in / and /lessused, where / is at first part on disk, and /lessused on second - make big performance improvements (shorter seeks!).

2) it takes many drives to the pool and you may add then new drives.
same as gconcat+growfs.

I read about this. However, I didn't find anything conclusive as to how
well the drives can still live on their own if they are ever seperated.
Now I don't think they will be addressed as a RAID0 with all the risks of
that. But what happens if one of four drives breaks down? Does it make a
difference, if the broken drive is the first one, the last one or a middle
one?

if it's just concat, you will loose lots of data, just like any other filesystem.

with concat+mirror - you replace single drive that failed and rebuild mirror. that's all.

after reading your answer on 3-rd question i will end the topic, because you understand quota as workaround of problems creating 1000 partitions. or simply - looks like you don't understand it at all, because it is not workaround. it's excellent tool.