Jerry McAllister wrote:
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 08:50:36PM +0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi all,

I brought a new ThinkPad T61 for work, the hardware is as follows:

T7300(2GHz), 2GB RAM, 120GB 5400rpm HD, 15.4in 1680x1050 LCD, 128MB nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M, CDRW/DVDRW, Intel 802.11agn(n-disabled), Bluetooth, Modem, 1Gb Ethernet, UltraNav, Secure chip, Intel Turbo, 9c Li-Ion,

My current working involves scientific calculation and programming. I'm from a linux background(redhat, debian, ubuntu), but after some googling and comparison, I found FreeBSD more stable and I want to try FreeBSD. I am tired of a dual-boot system, so I want to just install FreeBSD or another linux distribution(maybe ubuntu) on my notebook.

My questions are:
1) Can FreeBSD work well with my hardware? The display card, CDRW/DVDRW, wireless, Ethernet and battery managment are the most important.

2) I have read the FreeBSD Handbook. According to Chapter 10: Linux Binary Compatibility, it seems that FreeBSD lacks support of many commercial softwares such as MATLAB, Oracle, Mathematica. Is the linux binary compatibility stable enough for work ?

It should run FreeBSD just fine.   Check the hardware compatibility
lists to check for specific peripherals.

The Linux compatibility layer worked well.  Should be no problem.

////jerry

Thanks a lot.

Thank you guys.

I will try to install FreeBSD on a second hard disk to have a test.

Is FreeBSD going to enhance himself on the desktop ? It seems that FreeBSD focuses mainly on server, while Linux has improved a lot in the past a few years both on server and desktop. But I'm still eager to try FreeBSD on my notebook :P