So call me a sociopath, but times are a bit scary.  I'd like to do the
2000's equivalent of the 1960's bomb shelter, and have my very own
snapshot in case of major local/regional internet disruption, etc.

wikipedia is just a pile of junk. everyone can put in it, and unfortunately do.

in EVERY article i watched in area i have knowlege there were bugs. in most - big nonsenses.

in others - probably too, i just don't have required knowledge to check it.

snapshot on DVDs or disk as a fundraiser?  I'd drop $300 for some sort
of officially licenced copy, I suspect there are other freaks that
would too...

wget should do. select an option to limit downloads to wikipedia, but with unlimited recursion, start from almost any place.