On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 09:12:33PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> >>wikipedia is just a pile of junk. everyone can put in it, and
> >>unfortunately do.
> >
> >Meanwhile, in print encyclopedias, I see that with restricted writing
> >access and strict editing processes there are typically systemic biases
> >and subtler mistakes that are much easier to overlook -- and the mistakes
> >not only persist until the next edition, but often exist for decades,
> >whereas finding a mistake in Wikipedia is fixable within five minutes.
>
> and 3 others are added.

Do you really think such absurd exaggeration makes a valid point?

> >The key is that an encyclopedia should never be the *end* of your
> >research.  It's basically just a place to look for key terms to research
>
> actually what i do - to get the first glance on subject, THEN checking
> more precisely.
>
> but quite often it's crap even at the first glance

I guess your definition of "quite often" must be much more permissive
than mine -- or you just have a real knack for finding bad information.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
Albert Camus: "An intellectual is someone whose mind watches itself."