On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 11:02:01AM -0400, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> > > I think this is a bit uncalled for, it might have been in a candid
> > > manner, but there are alot of locations in the world using FreeBSD
> > > quite effectively where most people live on less then a dollar a day
> > > Id also like to note your so called US dollar isnt fairing so well.
> > > Pretty soon might it also be worth 0.00. I do think we should try not to
> > > insult the ecomonics of other countries
> >
> > The US Dollar hasn't really been worth anything since 1975 at the latest.
> > People just haven't figured that out yet.
>
> Neither have most of the things people are buying with it.
> So, it all evens out.
> It people only bought what they really need, the dollar would
> be high, and the economy would be totally stagnant.   Who knows,
> maybe that would be better than what we have now.

That wouldn't solve the problem of the US dollar being a fiat currency.
Basically, under a fiat currency, trying to financially plan for the
future is a matter of gambling the economy won't blow up in your face in
the interim -- which is anything but a sure bet.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
Jeff Henager: "If the average user can put a CD in and boot the system