--On July 22, 2008 9:26:27 PM -0500 Paul Schmehl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

--On July 22, 2008 10:03:36 PM -0400 Steve Bertrand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

Umm..it's a terminal server....

...ummm, in Windows-land, Terminal Services == rdp (port 3389 TCP).

Umm..no.  In Windows-land, Terminal Services == rdp (port 3389 TCP) but
a terminal *server* is used specifically to allow mutliple (as in more
than the default limit of two) concurrent sessions and requires the
purchase of additional licenses.  Now, *maybe* the OP really meant
terminal *services* but he wrote "secured Windows 2003 terminal
*server*", and that is a different animal altogether.

To the OP - here's what I get when testing from a FreeBSD box to one of our servers:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] telnet hostname.utdallas.edu 3389
Trying 10.110.21.80...
Connected to hostname.utdallas.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.
test
^C
login test
Connection closed by foreign host.

So, if a connection closed message is what you get, it appears to be a timeout after a failure to authenticate. The access denied message you cited appears to be a firewall or acl issue that prevents the server from accepting connections from your FreeBSD box.

BTW, I use rdesktop routinely to rdp to various Windows 2003 servers, but I haven't tested it against a terminal server. I'll try that and let you know what I find.

Paul Schmehl
If it isn't already obvious,
my opinions are my own and not
those of my employer.